Ultra X Sri Lanka is the first race since the Wadi Rum Ultra scaled up to become a world series. The move marks the beginning of a new era in multi-day ultrarunning and the countdown to the World Championships in 2021 where the best multistage runners will get the recognition they truly deserve.
Competitors can qualify for the World Championships by gaining points in other Ultra X races.
Qualification attempts will begin in Ultra X Sri Lanka later this month where there will be over 50 competitors who are going to be battling to be the first ones to guarantee their places.
Athletes can qualify thoough one of four ways:
1) Gaining points through exceptional performance;
2) Qualifying through the Ultra X Allegiant scheme;
3) Being selected in the charity ballot;
4) Earning a wildcard invitation from one of the two Race Directors.
The top 3 female and male winners at the Ultra X World Championship will win prize money.
Participants who meet the following qualifying criteria will be invited to compete in the summer of 2021:
- Finish on Men/ Women’s podium (first, second or third);
- Finish top in age category* (there will only be one place allocated per age category irrespective of qualifying through overall podium);
- Finish in top 10% of men or women’s field overall having not already obtained automatic qualification.
Complete two Ultra X events in the two years preceding the World Champs (in 2021 this will be extended to include Wadi Rum events 2015–18) for an allegiant place.
Ultra X is delighted to offer 10 charity places for the World Championships. All charity entries must present their application along with proof of charitable activity to the race organisers and the ballot will be drawn 6 months preceding the WC. Only those applications where fundraising is in excess of £1,000 will be considered.
Now let’s race!
Athletes MUST claim their slot (and pay the £300 deposit) within 30 days of crossing the finish line of the Ultra X event of qualification. If the finisher is subsequently unable to attend the World Championships this deposit can be transferred to any other Ultra X race.
If no such claim is made the place will be rolled down to the next best placed individual for a further 30 days. This process will continue until the place is filled.
If there are no starters in a particular Age Group, then that slot will be moved to the next calculated Age Group within the gender.
*Age categories as follows (Male and Female):